Windows 2008r2 indexing services - disabled? > apparantly libraries rely on it, or how to redirect "Documents" to a share with indexing disabled?....
It appears that one cannot redirect the "Documents" folder to a share without turning on indexing and libraries. I'm trying to redirect the default Documents location to a network location share ( I like to have some of those system folders shared by all workstations and those use a common mountpoint > z:/My documents ), and windows complains > This network location can't be included because it is not indexed .... Quote (in windows help and support) : What types of locations are supported in libraries > On a network > Yes, as long as the network is indexed or has been made available offline I'm running a HA (DRDB) SAN that has effectively 53TB of storage, and in my book the previous sentence means that I either have to replicate the data on the clients ( offline > quite impossible ) or allow clients to index those servers ( which will create a lot of unnecessary redundant traffic ). Neither option is feasible... This is really nasty... if not because some applications use access date ( linux "atime" ) on files in there to do operations, if windows start touching those because whatever kind of service feels like it, then it gets all screwed up. I don't want Indexing service or whatever "handy" features like libraries enabled for all of the above reasons. Previous versions of windows enabled one to just move that location to ones liking, I cannot imagine that smart admins would even allow indexing on corporate networks... So the question is how does one turn of those services, and do a redirect ? Thanks
September 1st, 2011 10:12am

After fiddling a while, I found a workaround, which just shows the inherent software quality [sic] of this OS... 1. backup ( zip/rar/tar ... ) all files inside the documents folders ( just in case you opt not to move them automatically ) 2. goto libraries > Documents > right click > properties > remove all library locations 3. open an explorer window and paste following in the path > %USERPROFILE%\Documents assuming you are logged in as administrator it should go to C:\Users\Administrator\Documents 4. right click "My documents" > click Location > change to your liking, in my case a network share ( Z:\My Documents ) a popup will ask you to move etc .... do as you like. and close the properties window > the next time one will open properties of this folder ... the location tab will be gone for some mysterious reason .... > see next steps... 5. goto libraries > documents > properties and click "restore defaults" .... tada ... your network share will be there (without using indexing).... 6. to restore the location tab mentioned previously ( and the standard location )> click start > run > type "regedit" the redirect changed 2 keys in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders the "Personal" key defaults to "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders the "Personal" key defaults to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents" Libraries are a desktop media thing unrelated to anything closely resembling servers and this is supposed to be a server OS, not a newbie-preventing-doing-things-otherwise-then-M$-decided OS I guess some idiot made a career move by deciding that libraries are cool ......
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2011 7:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics